“God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him,” James 1:12.
As I read this verse this morning I heard God say, “Patience is the key.”
- The quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
- An ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay.
- Quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care.
What are some synonyms of patience?:
- Composure, stability, self-possession; submissiveness, sufferance. Endurance, fortitude, stoicism imply qualities of calmness, stability, and persistent courage in trying circumstances. Patience may denote calm, self-possessed, and unrepining bearing of pain, misfortune, annoyance, or delay; or painstaking and untiring industry or application in the doing of something: to bear afflictions with patience. Endurance denotes the ability to bear exertion, hardship, or suffering. Running in a marathon requires great endurance. Fortitude implies not only patience but courage and strength of character in the midst of pain, affliction, or hardship: to show fortitude in adversity. Stoicism is calm fortitude, with such repression of emotion as to seem almost like indifference to pleasure or pain. 3. indefatigably, persistence, assiduity.
My thoughts on patience:
- Patience is a choice
- Patience is a state of mind & being
- Patience takes practice
- Patience takes courage & strength
- Patience takes persistence & hard work
- Patience is perfected in the midst of trial & tribulation
- Patience is the absence of complaint
- It is the ability to overcome adversity
- It keeps you going in spite of pain
- Patience feeds on hope
- It is the “fight” within all of us
- Patience sets its sights on the prize
- It succeeds against all odds
- True patience does not exist in the absence of pain or hardship; it is in the midst of pain & hardship that true patience is birthed
- Patience is fighting the good fight of faith without complaining
- Patience is enduring in all circumstances with a good attitude
- Patience is thanksgiving with perseverance
- Patience is overcoming whatever life throws at you with a smile on your face
- Patience is choosing joy over sorrow and hope over fear
- Patience is seeing the single ray of sunshine breaking through the storm
- It’s looking at that mountain in your life and saying, “No matter what it takes, I won’t stop until you have been cast into the sea.”
God, when I am weak, You are strong. I can’t do this on my own. I can’t get through a single day without Your presence. You are the strength of my heart. You are my peace and joy. Lord, carry me. Never let me go. Renew my mind. Quench the thirst of my spirit. Satisfy the hunger of my soul. Fill me up with Your word. Breathe new life into me. Carry my burdens and fill me with Your peace that surpasses all understanding. Make my heart light, give it wings to soar above the adversity in this life. Make me fix my gaze upon You alone. My patience is being perfected. Do not give up until You have completed the good work You have started in me. I will hang on. I will push through until the end. Your faithfulness and love will bring me to the finish line. I will see Your glory. I rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, and persevere in prayer Lord because my trust is in You and I will not be shaken.